There are a handful of options for families of aging loved ones to evaluate. The first step is understanding the difference between each of them and the factors that should be considered based on individual needs. LifeLinks Care Managers can help families work through these questions, creating a care plan based on all of the options available.
A Nursing Home setting is ideal for seniors who:
· Can no longer get themselves in or out of bed;
· Have a complicated medical or psychiatric condition requiring nursing assessment 24/7;
· Need to be fed, dressed and/or bathed.
If the home setting or assisted living setting is requiring a lot of trips to the doctor or the emergency room, it is probably time to move to a nursing home.
Support services, such as hospice and geriatric care management, can be implemented to address special situations.
Paying for nursing home care:
· Medicare – only for short term, skilled stays in a rehab facility
· Medicaid – some
· Long term care insurance – yes
· VA benefits - yes
OTHER UNDERSTANDING LEVELS OF CARE: